Learn to be a Mental Health First Aider on a two-day public Mental Health First Aid course. The two-day courses are run in relaxed and comfortable venues or within your business workplace. Each participant is supported to learn and explore topics surrounding mental health and wellbeing. The course focuses on giving attendees the confidence and knowledge to support others who may be in difficulty, whilst at the same time equipping you as ‘first aider’ with the tools to monitor your own mental wellbeing.
Accredited by MHFA England
This internationally recognised course qualifies attendees as Mental Health First Aiders. It's an in-depth look at mental health and the common conditions, including depression, anxiety disorders, bipolar disorder, eating disorders and schizophrenia. Attendees leave with a thorough understanding of the factors affecting mental health and an awareness of the impact of poor mental health on those experiencing issues. Time is also spent enhancing conversation and listening skills – which give you the confidence to offer support to others, even in a crisis situation and enable signposting to further help. The Key take out is that whilst all have mental health, mental ill-health can happen to anyone and recovery is likely and possible.
What will you gain:
- An in depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of a range of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress using the Mental Health First Aid action plan
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their wellbeing by guiding them to further support - whether through self-help resources, internal support such as EAP, or external sources such as their GP
- Understanding of how to keep yourself safe while performing mental health first aid
Everyone completing the course receives:
- A detailed MHFA England Manual to refer to whenever they need it
- A workbook including a helpful toolkit to support their own mental health
- A certificate of attendance to confirm they are a Mental Health First Aider
Course Outline - Four sessions split over two days
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan
- What is mental health?
- Impact of mental health issues
- Stigma and discrimination
- What is depression?
- Symptoms of depression
- Risk factors for depression
- Suicide figures
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- First aid for suicidal crisis
- Non-judgemental listening skills
- First aid for depression
- Treatment and resources for depression
- What is an anxiety disorder?
- First aid for anxiety disorders
- Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
- Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders
- Cognitive distortions and cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT)
- Personality disorders
- Eating disorders
- What is psychosis?
- Risk factors for psychosis
- Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
- Bipolar disorder
- Warning signs of developing psychosis
- Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
- Treatment and resources for psychosis
- Recovery and building resources
- Action planning for using MHFA
Training day format
Group size: We cover sensitive topics and encourage participation within each person’s comfort zone and as such we operate minimum group sizes of 8 and maximum of 16 to provide the best experience.
Our Venues:Professional yet relaxed settings. We only use large bright training rooms in easily accessible locations.
Instructor:KindtomyMind Training instructors are MHFA England approved, passionate about the topic and great facilitators – calmly able to create a safe yet stimulating learning environment; we avoid jargon and develop fun and engaging facilitated learning.
Everything included:All course materials are provided, along with follow up resources for each participant.
Public Mental Health First Aid course fee: We aim to make our courses accessible as well our pricing (the prices vary depending on venue/location costs. So please register your enquiry to learn about the pricing in your area. For those who are self-funding it may be possible to explore specific payment options).
Our training is now available online! Due to social distancing and for convenience, the Online Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is available via a virtual Learning hub as a blended approach of individual learning in four instructor-led individual sessions. It provides the same learning outcomes and certification for learners.